FOOD SAFETY TRAINING COURSE
Preventive Controls for Human Food
Become a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) and earn an FSPCA Certificate of Training!
The Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation (21 CFR, Part 117) requires that certain activities must be completed by a “preventive controls qualified individual.” The regulation is intended to ensure the safe manufacturing, processing, packing, and holding of human food in the United States. This course is developed by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA) and is the only standardized curriculum recognized by the FDA.
- Developed by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA).
- Only standardized curriculum recognized by the FDA.
- Meets the requirements for preventive control qualified individual (PCQI).
- Instructor: FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Lead Instructor Arlen Keller.
- Duration: 2.5 days (20 total contact hours)
- Successful completion: FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training Certificate.
FSPCA Preventive Controls Course Details
Through this 2.5-day course, you will understand Current Good Manufacturing Practices, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-based Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation (21 CFR Part 117) and be able to develop, implement, and maintain a Food Safety Plan for your operations.
The course includes:
▪ A presentation of the FSPCA standardized curriculum
▪ Hands-on learning through exercises and classroom discussions
▪ The development of a model Food Safety Plan to provide student interaction with the course content and promote a deeper understanding of Preventive Controls for Human Food
Day 1 (8 hours)
- Chapter 1 – Introduction to Course and Preventive Controls
- Chapter 2 – Food Safety Plan Overview
- Chapter 3 – Good Manufacturing Practices and Other Food Safety Hazards
- Chapter 4 – Biological Food Safety Hazards
- Chapter 5 – Chemical, Physical, & Economically Motivated Food Safety Hazards
- Chapter 6 – Preliminary Steps in Developing a Food Safety Plan
- Chapter 7 – Resources for Preparing Food Safety Plans
- Chapter 8 – Hazard Analysis and Preventive Controls Determination Intro
Day 2 (8 hours):
- Chapter 8 – Hazard Analysis and Preventive Controls Determination
- Chapter 9 – Process Preventive Controls
- Chapter 10 – Food Allergen Preventive Controls
- Chapter 11 – Sanitation Preventive Controls
- Chapter 12 – Supply-chain Preventive Controls
Day 3 (4 hours):
- Chapter 13 – Verification and Validation Procedures
- Chapter 14 – Record-keeping Procedures
- Chapter 15 – Recall Plan
- Chapter 16 – Regulation Overview – cGMP, Hazard Analysis, and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food
Food Safety Instructor
FSQC Training Center’s Lead Instructor, Arlen Keller, has over 45 years of Food and Beverage Manufacturing experience. His experience includes everything from being an hourly worker on the plant floor to production management, laboratory analyst, corporate regulatory, food safety, and quality systems management. Arlen uses his real-world and hands-on experience to provide relevant content and instruction.
Read about his complete journey as a food safety professional here.
Food Safety Training General Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for anyone looking to earn FSPCA Certification and become a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI) or wanting to develop a working knowledge of Preventive Controls for Human Food regulation (21 CFR, Part 117) and its implementation and maintenance, as well as for those people looking to update their training. If you work in or with companies that manufacture, handle, and distribute food or food packaging, this is the right course for you. Positions that commonly take this course include Employees, Supervisors, and Managers from:
How long is the course?
This course is 2.5 days (20 total contact hours).
What's included with this course?
Do these training classes take place online or in-person?
Both! Not only do we offer training online and in-person to meet the needs of our students, we also offer private training for those looking to train multiple team members.
Check out our Upcoming Events to find the right class for you, or Contact Us for information on private training.
Will I receive proof of training?
Yes! Upon successfully completing the course, participants receive an FSPCA Preventive Controls for Human Food Training Certificate.